Need advice about agent plugin design

Steven North swn at ocsystems.com
Mon May 30 01:13:35 UTC 2011

I am trying to design an RHQ/JON agent plugin to manage a software
resource with the following characteristics:

- there is the software itself (the installation);
- there are a variable number of "bundles" of configuration information
about 250KB in size each which need to be read from and written to the
agent; and
- there are "log" files which can 10-50MB in size each which need to be
read from the agent.

I think I am pretty clear on how to handle the software itself--just
like any number of other agents.

I am not sure how to handle the configuration bundles and the large log
files.

We might want to have the RHQ/JON server manage different versions of
these configuration files and distribute them to multiple remote agents.
Is there some existing domain object that would handle the read/write
aspect of the configuration bundles (zip files)?  Could the "package"
concept be used for these?  Would we need to create a new domain object
on the server side for these bundles?  If so, is there an example of
this kind of thing?

For the log files, I see some mention of the SupportFacet.  Would this
be appropriate for retrieving large log files?  Is there an example of this?

We expect to access the configuration bundles and the log files using
remote client operations because we have a separate GUI tool to
build/edit the configuration bundles and to correlate and analyze the
log files.  Is there an example of using a remote client to pull files
from and push files to remote agents?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give or examples you can point to.

Steve