Alternate plugin handling

David A. Webster DAWEBSTER at UP.COM
Wed May 11 17:10:40 UTC 2011

Yes, this one approach we plan on pursuing, for custom MBean support.  Two
related topics, but not entirely as there are merits to both, a generic,
"dynamic" MBean plugin and the ability to support a "private" plugin.

David Webster
Union Pacific Railroad
Lead Architect-Web Infrastructure
Systems Engineering
Phone: (402) 544-1094 | Email: dawebster at up.com

smillidge at c2b2.co.uk
Sent by: rhq-devel-bounces at lists.fedorahosted.org
05/10/2011 01:56 PM
Please respond to
rhq-devel at lists.fedorahosted.org

cc

Subject
Re: Alternate plugin handling

Wouldn't an alternative to this be to have a way for a plugin to
dynamically add new metrics and resource types similar to a dynamic MBean.
In this way we could have a single generic MBean plugin that could
discover all MBeans in a JVM and present the MBeans properties and
operations as metrics and ops respectively. The admin could then choose
which metrics to schedule.

Currently a dev has to create an rhq-plugin.xml and package into a jar to
manage a custom MBean. There must be a better way than that! Many other
monitoring tools allow browsing of the MBean tree and the user can choose
what MBeans to monitor.

Just a thought!