Alternate plugin handling

smillidge at c2b2.co.uk smillidge at c2b2.co.uk
Tue May 10 18:55:54 UTC 2011

Wouldn't an alternative to this be to have a way for a plugin to dynamically add new metrics and resource types similar to a dynamic MBean. In this way we could have a single generic MBean plugin that could discover all MBeans in a JVM and present the MBeans properties and operations as metrics and ops respectively. The admin could then choose which metrics to schedule.

Currently a dev has to create an rhq-plugin.xml and package into a jar to manage a custom MBean. There must be a better way than that! Many other monitoring tools allow browsing of the MBean tree and the user can choose what MBeans to monitor.

Just a thought!