Configuration syncing between RHQ servers

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 11:27:42 UTC 2011

Hi,

this email is to start the discussions about a new feature we're contemplating
for RHQ - the ability to export and import "configuration" of the server. I
use the term "sync" for merely being able to export something and later be
able to import "it" to another server.

There is a wiki page documenting what parts of RHQ could theoretically be
synced:
http://wiki.rhq-
project.org/display/RHQ/Design+-+Configuration+synchronization.
This page also hints at the problems we are likely going to face when
implementing sync for various entities. Please read through it go get an idea
about the current thinking about the feature.

I'd be very much interested in gathering as much user input as possible so
that we implement features that will help your real-life needs.

It is important to note that this feature will deal with the configuration
data and there are no assumptions about the inventory of the two servers. They
may and most certainly will differ but that should not hinder the ability to
synchronize the configurations of the two servers.

In particular, I am interested in getting answers to the following questions:

1) What parts of RHQ would you like to sync between RHQ servers (below is a
list of all exportable "entities". Please say yes or no at each, ideally with
an explanation why and how you'd like to use it)?
- server configuration
- users
- roles
- metric templates
- alert templates
- content sources
- repos
- packages
- dyna groups
- plugins
- configuration, connection settings of a resource
- metric schedules of a resource
- alert definitions of a resource

2) How granular should the export be?
- all or nothing - i.e. "true" sync
- per "subsystem" (i.e. all users&roles, all templates, content sources &
repos & packages, ...)
- pick and choose individual entities

3) How segmented should the export be?
- lump different entity types together in one export file
- export per "subsystem"

4) When should the import be run?
- during RHQ server installation
- any time