more specific bundle targets

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 22 15:12:24 UTC 2011

> I thought it had an install directory or something like that that it
> could use to drive off of.

It does. But what do you propose? The server-side look at the property
and hardcode the additional, "default/deploy"? That's very specific to
JbossAS and would not be appropriate for Tomcat, for example. A classic
case of the need for agent plugin metadata/component API to drive the
data retrieval so we don't hardcode things in the server that are
specific to a particular product.

>  I'm just thinking that a type-specific
> deployment dir could somehow be too restrictive.  What if you wanted to
> provision webapps in one case and start scripts in another.

Then we support multiple <bundle-deployment> tags:

<bundle-deployments>
    <bundle-deployment name="start-scripts"/>
    <bundle-deployment name="webapps" />
</bundle-deployments>

When we ask the plugin what the deployment dir is, we pass in the name
of the deployment type we want (in the above case, "start-scripts" or
"webapps"). These deployment type names are custom to the
pluign/resource type (i.e. you don't have to call them "start-scripts"
or "webapps", but they should be human readable since we'd have to show
them to the user in the GUI for them to pick - yet another i18n thing to
do for plugin descriptors :)

We could still optionally support plugin config settings:

<bundle-deployments>
    <bundle-deployment name="webapps" plugin-config-prop="deployDir"/>
</bundle-deployments>