eclipse compile errors

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 09:13:12 UTC 2011

There is a bunch of new modules lying around in support of running CLI on the
server, org.rhq.binding being one of them.

Since I don't use the eclipse project we are bundling with the source code,
actually I completely forgot we had one, I didn't update it.

The new modules are:
- enterprise/binding
    abstraction of the script bindings we use in both the remote CLI and
    server-side CLI
- enterprise/server/client-api
    a server-side impl of the "connection" to the server used by the bindings
    on the server-side
- enterprise/server/plugins/alert-cli
    the CLI alert notif plugin
- enterprise/server/plugins/packagetype-cli
    the cli script package type plugin - there is a new type of server plugin
    to support different "behaviors" of different package types -  behavior
    being basically a runtime check around version string formatting and being
    able to validate/update the user provided package version details before
    the package version is persisted.

Btw. what is the purpose of bundling the project files with the source code
apart from adding to the stuff the devs need to remember to update? An eclipse
project can be obtained either using m2eclipse by importing the root pom.xml
or just by doing mvn eclipse:eclipse on the command line.

One of the main reasons why I went away from the bundled project was the fact
that having each module in a standalone project (which is what m2eclipse or
the generated project files do) gives a much clearer idea about the inter-
module deps (and forces you to honor them/be aware of them) than having
everything mixed together in one uber-project as we do in the bundled project
(and be able to use server-side code in a plugin without IDE notifying you).
Other nice thing you can do is to close all the projects and by opening only
the one you work on (the deps are opened automatically), you very much
decrease the in-IDE compile times, validation times, etc.

Lukas