SNMP plugin patch for handling SNMP notifications; testing for plugins

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Fri Jul 22 13:20:17 UTC 2011

>> I also spent some time on adding support for test ability. There
>> doesn't seem to be a good plugin suite to leverage, so I started to
>> craft something called "ComponentTest". I would like to have this
>> reviewed and maybe put into a common test library. There doesn't seem
>> to be any testing for many of the plugins which I think is
>> unfortunate.
>
> I completely agree here. I think we should discuss that in a new thread.

The problem there is that in order to test the basic functionality of a
plugin, you'd probably have to have the thing that its managing running
(if its the apache plugin, you need apache running; for the jboss
plugins, you need jboss-as running, for the tomcat plugin, you need a
tomcat instance running).

So, we'd have to find a way to bundle up and run these managed resources
(in a way that is repeatable so the tests are repeatable) OR figure out
a way to mock out all of these different managed resources to make it
appear they are running to the plugins when we are testing them.

Any ideas on how to do this is most certainly welcome.