SNMP plugin patch for handling SNMP notifications; testing for plugins

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 20:29:20 UTC 2011

this looks OK to me. Most involves changes to the snmptrapd plugin -
which Heiko knows more about. Let's see what he says.

the other stuff looks ok except I would reject this:

+     * Used to be 1 minute, but since poll intervals are configurable
it stands that 1 second will suffice.
       */
-    int MINIMUM_POLLING_INTERVAL = 60; // 1 minute
+    int MINIMUM_POLLING_INTERVAL = 1; // 1 second

1) I don't like changing defaults for what amounts to arbitrary reasons
- some code out in the community might not realize the change in
default. so for backward compatibilty reasons, keep it the same.

2) it is just a default - if you don't like it, you can configure it, as
the comment says

3) I am leery about making the event subsystem do any more work than
what its doing now (we've seen potential performance problems if too
many events flood the system). I would prefer we NOT have the event
subsystem in the agent get activated every second - certainly not as the
default.

But other than that, everything else I think looks good. Let's see what
Heiko says. We can commit to master once we get his input.

Thanks!
John Mazz