branch names

Charles Crouch ccrouch at redhat.com
Tue Jul 19 22:51:10 UTC 2011

(3:01:33 PM) rbuck: mazz, jsanda: please check out rbuck/rpctimeout, i changed two files to add query-string based configurable timeout support
(3:02:07 PM) mazz: you couldn't just put it in origin/ ? I see we have a difficult child :)
(3:03:43 PM) rbuck: here's the ref: origin/rbuck/rpctimeout
(3:06:36 PM) rbuck: its simply a hierarchical name
(3:07:04 PM) rbuck: that way i can quickly and easily search, in git, for all branches of specified patterns
(3:08:56 PM) rbuck: then you can do things like this:     git show-branch "rbuck/*"       and see what branches exist, and what activity has occurred recently

Besides our release branches we dont have a strong naming convention for branches holding long running features/short running features/one-off fixes/branches worked on by multiple people etc:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=rhq/rhq.git;a=heads

Bob/Mazz/all,
Do you have suggestions for a naming convention that would consistently?

Cheers
Charles