SNMP plugin patch for handling SNMP notifications; testing for plugins

Elias Ross genman at noderunner.net
Tue Jul 19 00:11:31 UTC 2011

This is my first contribution.

I was working on the JMX side but it was decided we needed to support
the functionality of SNMP more. I was attempting to use the RHQ SNMP
listener for Python but although the plugin does support SNMP traps,
it does not do the two-way "inform" messages as described here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_3/feature/guide/snmpinfm.html

I wanted this support so I added it. So I verified that it now works
with pySNMP V2 inform messages.

I also spent some time on adding support for test ability. There
doesn't seem to be a good plugin suite to leverage, so I started to
craft something called "ComponentTest". I would like to have this
reviewed and maybe put into a common test library. There doesn't seem
to be any testing for many of the plugins which I think is
unfortunate.

I also ran into issues with how events are queued and polled for over
60 seconds. Necessarily, I had to change the minimum poll value to 1
second so I can run the test in a reasonable timeframe. This interval
is now configurable as well, but defaults to 60 as before.

Some of the whitespace and other changes are inadvertent.