Alerts; scheduling jobs

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 03:20:11 UTC 2011

Look in your server log, see if you find anything starting like this:

   Scheduling server plugin periodic job ....
or
   Failed to get scheduled jobs for server plugin ...
or
    Cannot schedule plugins jobs ...
or
    Failed to get server plugin env for ...
or
    Failed to schedule job ...

> Is there some way to configure/manager/view jobs from the UI?

You can configure the jobs from:

Administration>Plugins

Click on "Server Plugins" tab - find your plugin. FIRST - make sure you
plugin really is enabled (should have a green checkmark), then click in
the link to your plugin. This shows you the details - you then click the
"Configure" link. You'll see a tree view of your plugins with your
plugin's configuration shown. This is where you'll see the scheduled
jobs configuration settings.

> Do I have to put scheduled-jobs in a separate generic-plugin?

No. All plugins can support scheduled jobs.

See if you can grab the sample server plugin in
/etc/samples/custom-serverplugin, build it (just "mvn install") and
deploy it (just grab the .jar from the target/ dir and put the .jar in
your RHQ Server's /plugin directory) and see how that works. Once you
enable that plugin (it is disabled upon deployment - you have to
manually enable it from the Admin>Plugins page) you can fiddle with its
configuration, its .xml (redploy it if you mess with the descriptor) -
just play around with it to see how it works to get a feel for what you
can do.

***NOTE:*** I just had to check in some fixes to that sample plugin to
get it to compile and be deployable in the latest RHQ 4 - so do a git
pull from the master branch to get the latest code before playing wiht
the sample server plugin.