drift terminology

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 14:36:26 UTC 2011

On 8/16/11 9:13 AM, Robert Buck wrote:

> On 08/15/2011 09:44 PM, Alan Santos wrote:
>> On Aug 15, 2011, at 4:56 PM, Charles Crouch wrote:
>>> Harlan, Alan, everyone on the rhq-devel list,
>>>
>>> John Sanda just updated the drift wiki with some definitions:
>>> http://www.rhq-project.org/display/RHQ/Drift+Management#DriftManagement-Terminology
>> Great, thanks - this is helpful. One thought:  "Drift Configuration" is explained well enough, but the term seems overloaded with respect to 'configuration'.
>>
>> I'd been thinking of it as a definition rather than a configuration.  Unfortunately I don't have a good suggestion; 'Drift Definition' didn't seem right; 'Baseline Definition' didn't seem to cover it all as it also includes frequency of the check (right?). 'Snapshot Definition'?  I'm not sure.  WDYT?
> In the first line of the definition is a decent term, and it's
> consistent with similar software in industry: "rules". So Drift Rules
> may make sense.
>
> -Bob
I was also thinking of something along the lines of rules, may drift
monitoring rules. If we stick with configuration, I'd prefer something
along the lines of drift detection configuration or drift monitoring
configuration. But I do think drift detection rules or drift monitoring
rules better conveys the purpose. You are specifying the rules of how
the drift monitoring is to be performed.