fatal vs error

Andreas Dietrich adi at aspicon.de
Fri Oct 1 12:58:04 UTC 2010

Definitely agreed.

Andreas

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Mazzitelli" <mazz at redhat.com>
To: rhq-devel at lists.fedorahosted.org
Sent: Friday, October 1, 2010 2:51:28 PM GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Bern / Rome / Stockholm / Vienna
Subject: fatal vs error

I see this in ErrorHandler - where exceptions are now logged as fatal,
rather than at the error severity:

         Message errorMessage = new Message(message, (t == null) ? null
: t.toString(), Message.Severity.Fatal);

I wouldn't necessarily call all exceptions "fatal", where "fatal"
usually means the app can no longer continue and should be considered in
a bad state that usually requires it to restart. In fact, I would guess
that the vast majority of all exceptions that occur do not rise to the
level of "fatal".

log4j defines 'fatal' as "very severe error events that will presumably
lead the application to abort"... see:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/Level.html#FATAL

I recommend we change that back to 'error' since that will be the most
common case for those calling the ErrorHandler.  Thoughts?