Virtual platforms

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 15:22:05 UTC 2010

Hi,

we currently have a fixed relations between servers and their platform. A server can basically only
exist when there is a platform resource in inventory which requires an agent on that box.
Of course it is possible to open remote connections to other machines, but those other
machines appear below the actual platform. This is most often no issue, but when you
e.g. want to include network elements like routers and switches, this does not work well.
Same issue arises when one goes through some "proxy" - e.g. a different management
server that manages some software and then provides that data to RHQ. Also in the
cloud case of e.g. Infinispan or Hadoop, there is often a cluster manager that provides
all the data and putting an agent on each box with an ISPN or Hadoop node is overkill.

So I propose that we introduce a concept of virtual platforms which also show up
in the tree as now, but which do not host agents (and are probably limited in the
data they can provide as without agent, there are not platform plugins and no platform metrics).
Software that is hosted on such a platform would show up as a normal platform child.

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Otto-Hahn-Strasse 20, 85609 Dornach bei München
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München HRB 153243