testing server plugins across HA cluster

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 16:35:24 UTC 2009

Mainly for the QA guys...

Up until recently, I've been developing and testing the server side
plugins on a single-node RHQ Server environment.

Yesterday I commited to master my first attempt to get multi-node RHQ
Server environments to work.

Here's what we need to test:

0) First, install N RHQ Servers, where N > 1. This is what we call the
RHQ Server "cloud". Its our HA environment where more than one RHQ
Server exists.

1) Install a new server plugin (you can use the sample server plugins to
test this) on a single RHQ Server. Confirm that within a certain time
limit (see rhq-server.properties "rhq.server.plugin-scan-period-ms" for
the actual amount of time), that plugin gets "magically" pushed/deployed
to all other servers in the "cloud". This means that all RHQ Servers get
the plugin stored in their
jbossas/server/default/deploy/rhq.ear/rhq-serverplugins directory and
the plugin is loaded into the master plugin container (you'll see
messages in the server logs when this happens).

2) Disable an enabled plugin via the Plugins GUI page. Confirm that
within a certain time limit (rhq.server.plugin-scan-period-ms) all
servers disable that plugin (you'll see messages in the logs when this
happens).

3) Similar to 2), only this time ENABLE a disabled plugin.

4) Finally, undeploy a plugin and see that all servers will eventually
undeploy that plugin, too (again, log messages will tell you when the
individual servers do this)