Comments on OpenLMI documentation overhaul

Russell Doty rdoty at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 14:15:50 UTC 2014

<snipped as the original was getting long>
> > General notes:
> >
> > It would be nice to mention the standard scripts - what they are
> > intended for and where they live. Perhaps choose one as an example and
> > show how to use it and describe the various sections. Mention that these
> > scripts represent examples of recommended best practices for LMIShell
> > scripts. Mention that these scripts are also intended to be copied and
> > modified for specific purposes.
>
> I am not sure about this. Isn't the mentioned text already present in
> LMI metacommand doc?

Perhaps I'm being dense, but I can't find it. One of our goals with
LMIShell and LMI metacommands is to provide a set of examples on how to
use OpenLMI that sysadmins can modify and extend. I don't see anything
that covers this.

We should state this intention, tell people where to find the scripts,
and provide recommendations on how to use them. For example, we should
tell them to change the name if they modify them, to avoid unintended
system behavior.

We should also give them a link to upstream and suggest that they
publish their modifications and enhancements.