lmishell in multiple threads

Jan Safranek jsafrane at redhat.com
Fri Nov 21 09:48:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

while fixing our openlmi-account tests, I found out that recent lmishell
has problems with accessing one LMIConnection from multiple threads.

For example, test_create() at
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/openlmi-providers.git/tree/src/account/test/TestAccountRaceConditions.py#n175

- creates one LMIConnection
- creates ~20 threads
- from each thread, issues requests on the LMIConnection and expects an
response.

When using pywbem as backend it mostly works - pywbem creates new TCP
connection for each CIM request. However, with lmiwbem, the tests fails
and quite often it also crashes.

So, how does lmiwbem work when it's accesses in parallel from several
threads? Is it something that should work out of the box or should the
application do some locking? Could you please describe it in our
documentation?

Thanks

Jan