Indication subscription for pegasus user

Radek Novacek rnovacek at redhat.com
Fri Jan 3 12:30:00 UTC 2014

I've noticed that we suggest our users that they should use the 'pegasus' user
for connection to pegasus, for example in the Quick Start Guide [1].

But the default pegasus configuration forbids non-privileged users to create
indication subscriptions. This affects the 'pegasus' user. When someone
connects to the pegasus using 'pegasus' user, he can't create any
subscription, unless it's explicitly allowed in the pegasus configuration:

(from man cimconfig):

enableSubscriptionsForNonprivilegedUsers

allowed to create Indication Subscription, otherwise privileged access is
required.
              Default Value: False
              Dynamic: No

I think that this behavior is very confusing for our users, we should do one
of the following options:

1) stick with current way - user must change that option in order to create
subscription as 'pegasus' (or other non-root) user and document it,

2) allow 'pegasus' user to create indication subscriptions by default (don't
know if pegasus supports some kind of whitelisting of users),

3) mark 'pegasus' user as privileged (not sure if possible),

4) Turn option 'enableSubscriptionsForNonprivilegedUsers' on by default,

5) something else, suggestions welcomed.

I like the 2) most, but I'm not sure if it's possible to do it easily. Maybe
we should consult pegasus upstream why is it done this way.

What do you think?

FYI: I've enabled that config option on buildbot so our tests work.

Radek Novacek

[1] http://www.openlmi.org/QuickStart