FreeIPA&OpenLMI integration use cases

Tomáš Smetana tsmetana at redhat.com
Mon Aug 18 10:32:47 UTC 2014

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:45:51 -0400
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/15/2014 10:16 AM, Tomáš Smetana wrote:
> > If the DMTF model doesn't fit your use case well, just ignore it.
> > Don't try too hard to implement it. You may try to find out if anybody
> > is actually implementing the model you choose. If not... What's the
> > point in trying to be compatible when there is nothing to be
> > compatible with? Being first is no big win for you here. Might be a
> > loss for your users if you make too many usability compromises just to
> > conform to an useless standard.
>
> You ask what's the point? Because standards are supposed to assure
> interoperability. Just because you're the first one to implement doesn't
> mean you get to ignore the standard. What happens when someone else does
> implement the standard? All of a sudden we're inoperable.

We implement the standards where possible in OpenLMI.  However quite often
the models simply don't fit the real world.  In such a case the best approach
(IMO) is to bend the model according to the reality (or create a completely
new one).  Nothing stops you from going back to the DMTF then and propose a
new standard: a one that actually works for somebody...

Regards,
--
Tomáš Smetana
Platform Engineering, Red Hat