openlmi.org frontpage

Radek Novacek rnovacek at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 14:11:13 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've recently stepped on upstream page of Software Collections [1] and I have
to say, I like it.

Couple of things to highlight:

1) *One* sentence that defines what is the project about
2) 4 steps (shell commands) how to install it
3) 3 steps how to use it
4) target audience defined
5) bunch of useful links where to go next

It would be great if we manage to do something like it on openlmi.org
homepage. For comparision, on openlmi.org frontpage is a text that has ~500
words long text that one have to read in order to get at least some idea
what's the project about and then read another rather longish page how to
install it and start using it.

I don't think many people enjoys reading long text just to know what's the
project about. Some might just say TL;DR and move on.

If we really want some community, we should try serve them information they
need in some more enjoyable shape.

Radek Novacek

DISCLAIMER: this is just my personal opinion, I don't want to offend people
working on openlmi.org but rather see how we can improve it. After all, the
frontpage is about the first impression about our project and affect how
people perceive it.

[1] https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/