Further introduction

Steve Pritchard sjpritchard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 22:14:58 UTC 2013

Hi all, I've had some issues receiving emails from the list, so hopefully
this one works.

Some further info on my management GUI project:

- It will be open source (probably on github)
- Qt Quick based
- Similar (but not identical) in functionality and look'n'feel to Windows
Server Manager
- It is motivated by the same reasons that Russell Doty so thoughtfully
explained on his Tech Ponder blog re: Linux management. I see a place for
both CLI and GUI interfaces.
- Leveraging OpenLMI for my project has dual benefits: it provides a
useful, consistent mechanism to manage local and remote systems, and it is
an opportunity for me to participate in the development of OpenLMI itself
(since Linux *badly* needs a unified PowerShell-like management interface)
- Looking a *long* way ahead, I'm interested whether such a tool could be
the basis for, or at least a component of, autonomic computing

My background:

- I'm an infrastructure architect (and RHCE) working for an Australian bank
with around 20 years of IT industry experience, covering most areas of
infrastructure (as a customer only - I haven't worked for a tech vendor).
- I'm a hobbyist developer, dabbling mainly in C/C++ and Python/Django
- I'm motivated to work on a Linux-related open source project as it
represents the intersection of my personal and professional interests, and
I perceive it to be a form of community service where I can use my skills
and experience to give something back to the (global) community
- This is my first open source project contribution, so please be gentle :)
- I can confidently contribute between 10-15 hours a week

My project status:

- I'm still learning the Qt Quick framework
- I need to wrap my head around the OpenPegasus C++ client library and WBEM
in general
- I don't expect my first proof-of-concept pre-alpha release for a few more
months at least

Areas where I can contribute to the OpenLMI project:

- OpenLMI provider development
- Documentation
- Web site content

Hope this info helps.