RFC: Provider registration management

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Fri May 17 09:34:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 10:45 +0200, Jan Safranek wrote:

> so far we register providers in rpm %post scripts. This has shown to be
> error prone, the registration repositories are quite fragile and tend to
> break.

Do we have specifics about how they break?  Eg. if it's bugs with
ordering/execution in rpm %post, those could equally apply to a new
metadata repository; if it's just that they aren't reliable, there's
nothing to say that they will necessarily be more reliable when used
fropm a new provider registration manager.

> As a solution, I can imagine we could add new package, let's say
> cim-provider-register.rpm, with /bin/provider-register and
> /lib/provider-register (or /etc/providers.d?).

> The /lib/provider-register/ would be authoritative repository of
> registered providers.

This clearly adds something significant --- ability to repair existing
provider registrations if breakage does happen, and much better
resiliance around installing things out of order.  So it definitely
sounds useful to have.

But I'd still like to be sure we're addressing the fundamental
registration problems, so that even when using the new repository to
drive registration, it works reliably.

Thanks,
 Stephen