Review Request 458: prototype CIM<->PCP bridge

Frank Ch. Eigler fche at redhat.com
Mon Jun 17 15:17:34 UTC 2013

Hi, Radek -

> [...]
> Regenerating only when the change really happens sounds optimal to me. How
> often such thing happen? Only on boot? Or any time?

Metrics come and go when a sysadmin reconfigures a PCP installation,
to add or remove PMDAs (agents).  This is a rare event, let's say a
few times per system lifetime.

> [...]
> Yes, I meant to have something like LMI_PcpConfigurationService with method
> Reconfigure. It should be doable but I really like the first approach
> (regenerate when something changes) more.

OK, will keep that in mind.

> [...]
> > The way I've been thinking about this is that this kind of domain
> > knowledge could be encoded into those CIM models rather than into the
> > generic PCP bridge.  For example, would it be possible for the OpenLMI
> > IPNetworkConnection code to redirect some statistics inquiries to the
> > PCP_Metric_XXX it knows about.
>
> This sound reasonable, however we won't be following the CIM modeling. For
> network statistics there is standard CIM class CIM_EthernetPortStatistics [1]
> that provides compatible access to network port statistics. [...]

Are our implementations of such standard classes (if any) free to
define those in terms of individual PCP data items?

- FChE