sblim-cmpi-syslog status update

Tomas Bzatek tbzatek at redhat.com
Tue Jul 30 12:20:41 UTC 2013

I know this has nothing to do with OpenLMI project, but I just wanted to
give a heads-up about what's available. The syslog provider from sblim
project kinda supplements OpenLMI functionality as we don't have our own
logging services (yet?) and can be used nicely side by side.

I wrote a small wiki page describing what's available and what needs to
be fixed, published on
https://fedorahosted.org/openlmi/wiki/sblim-cmpi-syslog together with
basic examples using lmishell. It's not linked from the mainpage yet as
I seem to have no permission for edit. Can somebody please put this link
in a new category? ("Related projects" may be a good title for that)

Recently there was a new upstream release improving rsyslog support but
there are still some design issues, as described on the wiki page.

FWIW, my short-term plan is to write journald OpenLMI provider however
it's not going to be direct replacement as journal doesn't have complete
functional parity with classic syslog daemons. Alternatively, we may
want to decide to write new rsyslog provider to provide advanced
functionality that some projects like FreeIPA [1] requires and to get
rid of legacy design limitations.

--
Tomas Bzatek <tbzatek at redhat.com>

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3507