RFC: Profile Registration in OpenLMI - generically

Roman Rakus rrakus at redhat.com
Sun Jul 21 18:35:47 UTC 2013

On 07/18/13 14:47, Jan Safranek wrote:
> I got no other response, so let's call this proposal as agreed. I
> documented it on our wiki:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/openlmi/wiki/ProfileRegistration
>
> Jan
It is working only for python providers. I don't understand how is
python providers working, but providers written in plain C contains only
1 class. In other words each one class is one provider. If we will want
to register all classes we will have to register all providers.

I think it should be enough to register only one class/provider per
registration. Typically it's service class. Looking at
CIM_ElementConformsToProfile class' description:
"""
The CIM_ElementConformsToProfile association defines the
RegisteredProfiles to which the referenced ManagedElement is conformant.
Note: This association may apply to any Managed Element. Typical usage
will apply it to a higher level instance, such as a System, NameSpace,
or Service. When applied to a higher level instance, all constituent
parts MUST behave appropriately in support of the ManagedElement's
conformance to the named RegisteredProfile.
"""
I undestand it like "higher level instance" is "instance of service
class" (or any other focal point). From this instance (focal point of
profile) you can go through associations to any instance of this profile.

Is there any reason to have every instance in this association?

RR