RFC: Blivet & mounting

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 12:30:20 UTC 2013

Hi Jan,

On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 15:57 +0100, Jan Safranek wrote:

> OpenLMI project uses Blivet, former Anaconda storage library, to manage
> storage. Management of storage also means management of mounts, i.e.
> ability to mount/unmount/remount stuff, list existing mounts and
> add/delete/modify/list entries in /etc/fstab.
>
> The installer somehow manipulates fstab and mounts stuff and there is
> some code in Blivet for that, but I am not sure it can be easily
> extended for generic use case.
>
> Is generic mounting/unmounting capability that something Blivet should
> do, so it would be integrated there, or there should be separate library
> for this? In both cases, we (=OpenLMI) would /probably/ provide the code.

Makes a lot of sense, yes.  I'm not sure why we'd want to solve
separately a part of the problem as small as mount/fstab maintenance.

> BTW, for fstab manipulation I am thinking about augeas-python. It does
> not pull any big dependency except libxml2, still it's yet another
> package needed in installer ramdisk if generic mounting is in Blivet.

For Fedora at least, anaconda already includes libxml2 and
python-libxml2, so the installer impact doesn't sound like too big a
deal.  And augeas is likely to be needed by something like blivet at
some point in any case.

--Stephen