source for "Provider HowTo"

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 13:03:45 UTC 2013

On 04/25/2013 06:39 AM, Tomáš Smetana wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:44:41 -0400
> John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is the source for the "OpenLMI CIM Provider HOWTO" which we
>> discussed last week. It should be imported into the openlmi-providers
>> git repo. That way the team can edit it and format it for publication
>> (i.e. on the web, mediawiki, html, etc.).
>>
>> http://jdennis.fedorapeople.org/cim-provider-howto.md
>
> Hi John and all,
>    I have converted the document to HTML and placed at
> https://fedorahosted.org/openlmi/wiki/cim-provider-howto
>
> Should we keep it there and place a link on the wiki front page? I also
> wonder where to store the original markdown sources...
>
> Thanks and regards,

Thank you Tomáš.

I think the page should be linked to from a documentation page, When you
first visit the OpenLMI wiki you should be able to navigate to
documentation and find it. There is also
https://fedorahosted.org/openlmi/wiki/Howto which is liked from the main
wiki page "See the Quick HOWTO for the basic instructions on how to
begin with CIM and OpenLMI on a Fedora Linux system."

There is also the https://fedorahosted.org/openlmi/wiki/ProviderTutorial
"See our ProviderTutorial for brief CIM & WBEM introduction and coding
tutorial, how to write providers for CIM server."

All these pointers should be collected on a single documentation page. I
think the documentation page should also include an option to download
the documents in PDF format as well as being able to browse them in
HTML, some folks find PDF much friendlier (formats better, easier to use
offline, etc.)

As for where the source lives? Why not in the openlmi-providers git repo
under a doc directory? I would suggest all the documentation be
maintained there. At a later date those documents could be installed as
an openlmi-providers-doc subpackage.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?