CIM Provider HOWTO Document

Radek Novacek rnovacek at redhat.com
Fri Apr 5 12:51:33 UTC 2013

On Thursday 04.4.2013 17:29:16 John Dennis wrote:
> [ Note: some of you may receive a duplicate of this email, sorry.
>    This time the PDF is linked to instead of attached. ]
>
> When I started development of the realmd CIM provider I was told I was
> being a guinea pig. Take a developer who knows nothing about CIM or
> OpenLMI and see what issues a novice might encounter when asked to write
> a CIM provider. Then use that experience to write up documentation to
> pave the way for other developers to follow.
>
> When I first started a few months ago the material on the OpenLMI wiki
> was sparse. I see that it has since been enhanced.
>
> Here is a 24 page PDF. It is what I would have liked to have started
> with as a developer.

First of all I must say, you have done a great job, the howto is awesome.

I have a couple of comments, but they might not be valid -- it just my
opinion:

* I would add more detailed associations explanation -- mainly a statement
that association are basically ordinary classes.

* It might be useful to describe standard methods - EnumerateInstances,
GetInstance, References/Associators...

* Typo page 19: The preferred mechanism is to use the *pegaus* user account

* PropertyPolicy on page 22 has wrong format (bullets and indentation)

* Typo page 23: Sometimes *refereed* to as a broker ...

Otherwise it looks good.

Thanks,

Radek Novacek