[netcf-devel] change-* commands

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Mar 15 15:26:31 UTC 2012

On 03/15/2012 03:24 AM, hiren panchasara wrote:
>     change-begin - mark the beginning of a set of revertible network
> config changes
>     change-commit - commit the pending network config changes
>     change-rollback - rollback (revert) a set of network config changes
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Can someone please take some time out to explain how these commands
> are supposed to work?
> what is the input and output of these commands?

There is no input/output of the API except success/failure.

> it seems we take snapshots of current configurations?

Correct. change-begin stores enough information that running
change-rollback can restore the network configuration to the state it
was in when change-begin was called (using the information stored by
change-begin, of course). change-commit removes the saved state.

One other detail - if the system is rebooted while a transaction is in
process (after "change-begin", but before change-commit or
change-rollback), the network config should be automatically rolled-back
to the saved state; this is done so that if the machine becomes
unreachable as a result of changes to network config, it can be rebooted
and will come back to a known-working state. On Fedora/RHEL, this is
done with an init script (actually, the init script implements most of
the functionality of all three of these APIs) - see
netcf-transaction.init.sh.