[netcf-devel] dumpxml output format of resulting xml file

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Mon Mar 12 07:35:45 UTC 2012

On 03/12/2012 01:27 AM, hiren panchasara wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM, hiren panchasara
> <hiren.panchasara at gmail.com <mailto:hiren.panchasara at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     For dumpxml <interface>, check rc.conf (which may or may not
>     contain <interface> related settings). Print whatever you can find
>     regarding that interface.
>

> for example, my rc.conf has following entry:
>
> ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
>
> What should be the o/p of "dumpxml em0" ?

Is that the only information pertaining to the configuration of the
interface? If so, then it would be something like:

<interface type='ethernet' name='em0'>
  <start mode='onboot'/>
  <protocol family='ipv4'>
    <dhcp peerdns='yes'/>
  </protocol>
</interface>

I'm making the assumption here that the presence of the "ifconfig_em0"
line in /etc/rc.conf implies the interface will be started when the
system boots (looking back at the backups of my old NetBSD system
config, it looks like that is actually controlled by the presence of the
interface name in the "network_interfaces" variable, but FreeBSD may be
different). I'm also making the assumption that, by default, the
dhclient setup on FreeBSD accepts the DNS server info from the dhcp
server and puts it into /etc/resolv.conf (that's the meaning of
"peerdns='yes'").

> If I am not wrong, all examples in /tests/interface/ are of "dumpxml
> --live".

No, exactly the opposite. All of the examples in tests/interface are the
input to ncf_define() / output from ncf_if_xml_desc(), i.e. *not* the
live state of the interface, but its configuration information.