[netcf-devel] dumpxml output format of resulting xml file

hiren panchasara hiren.panchasara at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:44:03 UTC 2012

Laine, to sum it up, this is the approach we decided to take:

In FreeBSD, network interface information is not stored in a single file.
It can come from kernel too. But, if you want special settings (i.e.
address assignment from DHCP or static address), you can specify that in
/etc/rc.conf (that configuration survives reboots too). So, that is the
only *file* that contains _static_ (if you will) information regarding
interface configuration.

For dumpxml <interface>, check rc.conf (which may or may not contain
<interface> related settings). Print whatever you can find regarding that
interface.

For dumpxml --live <interface>, poke network interface information
structures and get most up-to-date state.

Please comment if you think this is not the correct way. Hope I've not made
it more confusing :p

Thanks for continuous help :-)
Hiren