[netcf-devel] Python-netcf

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Nov 30 18:29:18 UTC 2010

On 11/29/2010 05:58 PM, Lars Sjöström wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for an excellent project! I've have found it really useful!
>
> I was missing a python binding so I decided to create one myself!

I've been thinking for awhile myself that python bindings would be nice
to have. Thanks for taking care of it.

> All the main functions are in place but it still need some work like
> proper unit tests for example.
>
> I would really appreciate if someone would like to have a look at it and
> give me some feedback!

Not being a big python user myself, I'm not sure what they *should* look
like, but when I was thinking I would have to do it myself, I was
figuring on doing something as close to libvirt as possible (libvirt
already has python bindings for all its API functions, including the
virInterface* functions, which are just thin wrappers around netcf).
This thought was as far as I'd gotten (I hadn't even looked yet to see
what libvirt's bindings were like ;-)

Anyway, if they work, and mimic the C API, then they're fine with me. I
would appreciate review from other more python-savy list readers before
committing them, though.

> The project can be found on github at the moment:
> http://github.com/lsjostro/python-netcf
>
> Would it be make sense to commit it to the main netcf repo our should I
> request separate fedorahosted project?

Definitely they should end up being committed directly into the netcf
repo. That way when someone adds a new API, it can be a requirement that
they update the python bindings at the same time.

Thanks again for the contribution!