[netcf-devel] [Matahari] Updating oVirt Server to the latest Matahari 0.4.0 schema

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Nov 16 19:49:31 UTC 2010

On 11/16/2010 02:28 PM, Adam Stokes wrote:
>>> But there's more to it since, netcf can also configure interfaces
>>> (not yet in Matahari schema, but it is planned). Currently,
>>> ovirt-server provides network configuration which is downloaded by
>>> the Node on boot and applied (via augeas). Question is should
>>> ovirt-server switch fully to netcf (via Matahari)? I'm not sure how
>>> does netcf handle unstable interface names, seems that it relies on
>>> them being stable which is not the case in the stateless
>>> environment like oVirt Node.
> If the device is accessible via /files/sys/class/net/<interface>  then netcf will capture anything made available through that file structure.

Correct. It will *see* anything there, but will not report it unless it
has an ifcfg file associated with it (and is not enslaved to another
interface, eg a bridge or bond - in that case it will only be visible
from within the xml data for the master interface)

So with the existing oVirt node, you could examine /sys for the list of
name/mac-addres, then plug that info into netcf XML and let netcf do the
configuring and bring up the interfaces. Of course with this simple
method you'd be missing potentially useful information, such as whether
or not two interfaces were actually the same device, sharing the same
ethernet port (thus making the act of bonding them together for higher
bandwidth rather pointless); I don't know if you need to do anything so
complicated, though.