[netcf-devel] Python-netcf

Lars Sjöström lars.sjostrom at redhat.com
Wed Dec 1 22:17:33 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 13:29 -0500, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 05:58 PM, Lars Sjöström wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Thanks for an excellent project! I've have found it really useful!
> >
> > I was missing a python binding so I decided to create one myself!
>
> I've been thinking for awhile myself that python bindings would be nice
> to have. Thanks for taking care of it.
>
> > All the main functions are in place but it still need some work like
> > proper unit tests for example.
> >
> > I would really appreciate if someone would like to have a look at it and
> > give me some feedback!
>
> Not being a big python user myself, I'm not sure what they *should* look
> like, but when I was thinking I would have to do it myself, I was
> figuring on doing something as close to libvirt as possible (libvirt
> already has python bindings for all its API functions, including the
> virInterface* functions, which are just thin wrappers around netcf).
> This thought was as far as I'd gotten (I hadn't even looked yet to see
> what libvirt's bindings were like ;-)

I've just quickly looked at libvirt python binding and felt a bit
overwhelmed which made me look a ctypes instead. I think ctypes might be
good enough for this project.

> Anyway, if they work, and mimic the C API, then they're fine with me. I
> would appreciate review from other more python-savy list readers before
> committing them, though.

They indeed work, Looking forward to hear from other readers.
I have now added proper Makefile and unit tests, so please check out and
give it a go. :)

> > The project can be found on github at the moment:
> > http://github.com/lsjostro/python-netcf
> >
> > Would it be make sense to commit it to the main netcf repo our should I
> > request separate fedorahosted project?
>
> Definitely they should end up being committed directly into the netcf
> repo. That way when someone adds a new API, it can be a requirement that
> they update the python bindings at the same time.

+1

> Thanks again for the contribution!
You are welcome! :)