[netcf-devel] Undefining a bridge does not recreate the original interface

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Tue Nov 3 23:36:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 13:51 -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Playing with netcf a bit, I'm hitting an issue with undefining a
> bridge: the original interface disappears from the ncftool --list
> output, and its ifcfg script is completely gone.

But isn't that exactly what your XML file said ? That you want wlan0
enslaved to bridge br0; that means that the config for wlan0 has to be
overwritten. And when you undefine the bridge, we need to make the wlan0
config 'safe', too - removing it is the safest thing to do here.

> Maybe netcf could attempt to rebuild ifcfg files for child interfaces
> when undefining? Since it is already accessing /sys, it should be
> straight forward to build a simple config with at least mac and
> interface name.

But what would such a config do ? There's no reasonable way to go from
physical NIC to actually working interface definition.

> On an unrelated note, the bridge XML example on the main trac page is
> outdated and doesn't match the current XML schema.

Thanks, fixed that.

David