[netcf-devel] Suggestions (renaming drv_initscripts, changing the internal xml format, displaying augeas errors)

Jonas Eriksson jonas.j.eriksson at ericsson.com
Thu Jul 23 13:06:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

I thought that I should sum up some suggestions I would like to
discuss and if possible implement or wake up one day and see them
implemented (which happened today :) ).

How about renaming the initscripts driver to redhat or something
similar? The SuSE driver will also target the initscript network
configuration layer, and hopefully more drivers in the future as
well.

I suggest that we change the xml format that data/xml/augeas.rng
reflect, by changing the path attribute to an interface name
attribute. The reason for this is that the path is quite
irrelevant inside the XSLT, and only leads to duplication of data
(i.e. the ifcfg_path as it is called in drv_initscripts.c).

(I raised this one in one of my commit mails. This was probaly
not the best place, so I'll lift it out here instead.)
When I was debugging a problem with aug_save, I noticed that it
was quite hard to get exact error messages from augeas. I of
added temporary debuging code that gave me this information,
although augeas information ought to be more easily accessible
than this. I therefore suggest adding the error state EAUGEAS (or
similar) that would trigger a dump of /augeas//error and
/augeas//error/message from the ERR_* macros. If this would be to
much information, it could be enabled through the planned debug
mode.

Regards,
Jonas

--