[netcf-devel] Enslaving already enslaved interfaces

Jonas Eriksson jonas.j.eriksson at ericsson.com
Tue Aug 11 15:03:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:38:27PM +0000 David Lutterkort wrote:
> My concern is that by not allowing to break configs we can easily end up
> in a place where getting a machine into a known reasonable state becomes
> impossible. For example, I'd want management tools to be able to
> discover all ethernet devices on a machine, configure each of them as a
> standalone ethernet interface with DHCP, and possibly delete all other
> bridge/bond interfaces without regard of what might break in the
> process.

I see your point here and agree with your reasoning. It will be
quite a task to implement it on SUSE, as enslaved interfaces are
listed in the bridge ifcfg-file as a whitespace separated list,
like so:
BRIDGE_PORTS="eth0 eth1"

> At the same time, it would be good to add detailed diagnostics like the
> ones you have above - should we think about a 'ncf_check' call that
> looks at an XML interface spec and returns warnings like what you have
> above for the SuSe driver ?

Some kind of sanity check would be good in any case. Another
option would be to add a force-flag, to allow things like
overtaking enslaved interfaces. I would prefer a force-flag as
for example overtaking already enslaved interfaces is probably
something that the user would not want to do. Plus, my experience
with check commands is that people don't use them..

/Jonas

--
Jonas Eriksson
Consultant at AS/EAB/FLJ/IL