Machine Pool Roadmap

Radek Pazdera rpazdera at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 10:55:29 UTC 2012

Hi!

I was thinking about how to grasp the machine pool at controller
idea and what would be the best thing to start the development
with.

The first thing we should do is change <netmachineconfig> tag to
only <machineconfig>, because some internal code should be renamed
along with this. I will look at this (hopefuly) today and send a
patch. It will break all the recipes (again), but the sooner we do
it, the better.

After that is sorted out, we can proceed to implementing the config
support so LNST controller is able to search for and load configs
on startup [1].

This will consist from a number of smaller tasks:

    * Create new module (Common.Config?) with tools that will
      check for configuration in various locations and make it
      available to the controller. NetTestController should
      be able to call this and access the values.

    * Some small changes will be necessary in NetTestParse so
      the subparser NetMachineConfigParse can be used to parse
      the machines in the pool directory.

When this is ready, we can go ahead and start working on the hard
part - the templates themselves. Some further (not that big, hopefully)
changes to the parser will be necessary. Basically, we'll need to
incorporate only some sort of raw XML-DOM preprocessing before
the interpreting starts. And than we can start workin on the matching
algorithm.

Does this sound ok?

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/lnst/ticket/13

Cheers,