Can boot but cannot log in

Henry Hartley henry at dotrose.com
Wed May 27 20:17:44 UTC 2009

I've installed Fedora 10 (F10-i686-Live.iso) using liveusb-creator 3.6.5
to a Kingston Data Traveler (8GB). I can boot from the USB. When I
choose either Boot or Verify and Boot, the process continues without
error until I get to the graphical login screen.

At that point, the mouse pointer moves (i.e. it isn't locked up) but
nothing responds to clicks. I've tried changing the keyboard, language,
or clicking on the log in button but there is no response.

Some of the text on the screen is garbled and unreadable. That makes me
wonder if this is a video problem. The machine (Dell Optiplex GX260) has
an Intel 82845G graphics controller and is attached to a NEC MultiSync
FP950 monitor. Looking at the files on the USB, however, there do not
seem to be any obvious places where video settings could be changed.
Likewise, there does not seem to be a way to force the system to start
up in level 3 rather than level 5.

I'll try booting on another machine this evening to see if it works
there. Otherwise, any ideas?

--
Henry