Package storage location?

Ivan Nečas inecas at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 05:57:15 UTC 2012

On 09/26/2012 10:46 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> On 09/26/2012 03:09 PM, Stewart, Douglas H wrote:
>> Hypothetically, let's say I'm space-constrained on a local device but
>> have plenty of SAN space to dump ISOs, RPMs, etc. on. How would I go
>> about putting those sizable pieces of data out onto said SAN space?
>> Is it as as simple as moving a couple of directories and symlinking,
>> or is it something more profound?
>>
>> -Doug

> All packages are stored in  /var/lib/pulp/packages/  so theoretically
> you could simply symlink that directory to something on your san.  I'm
> guessing that selinux might cause issues, so you may try disabling it
> if you have trouble.

I've tried symlinks in past (I was symlinking the whole /var/lib/pulp
directory), but it was not working as expected (maybe with
/var/lib/pulp/packages it might be different, but it's good to know
about this). When symlinking the whole /var/lib/pulp, there was problem
that the symlinks that are in /var/lib/pulp/repos were not evaluated
correctly.

My advice is, if the symlinking doesn't work, use mount --bind. There
might be additional steps with selinux, to give the new directory the
context pulp needs. But to try it out, disabling selinux (and turning it
on later) is a good start.

-- Ivan

> -Justin

Ivan