RFC: vmware registration

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri May 27 07:24:41 UTC 2011

Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2011 11:53:23 +0200
> Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net> wrote:
>
>> I've included a patch below that makes it build when configured like this:
>>
>>   ./configure --enable-gcc-warnings
>
> This only makes it treat warnings as errors for me.

Actually it does quite a bit more.
It enables a large fraction of gcc's warning options,
and also enables -Werror.

It works by defining the two Makefile variables used here:
(in Makefile.am)

    AM_CFLAGS = $(WARN_CFLAGS) $(WERROR_CFLAGS)

>> dc-vmware-image.c: In function 'api_dbcb':
>> dc-vmware-image.c:287:7: error: assignment discards 'const'
>> qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror]
>
> I had to much with CFLAGS= on command line to get these. Wonder why.

Do you set CFLAGS manually?
How do you build and make?
This should do the right thing:

  ./configure --enable-gcc-warnings && make && make check