unchecked snprintf: proposed patch

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 15:30:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:17:46 +0100
Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net> wrote:

> Is this change ok with you?

Well... I would never say "no" to something that works, but I'm wondering
why this works. The GC should track explicit allocations for compatibility.
The pointer is on stack. If I allocate something, then free it, GC should
be aware that a certain area is freed. Something doesn't compute here.
I left that ugly #ifdef there to figure it out later.

> Better still, can you outline how I could test it, even if
> only in a dry-run mode or something like that?
> I'd really like to have a test that's run by "make check"
> exercise some of this code.

You're right, of course. I'll come back with a test. Falcon, too.

-- Pete