FYI, switching from transifex to the translationproject.org

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Dec 7 07:51:58 UTC 2011

Just a quick heads-up:

With our current bootstrap-driven .po-file downloading process, you must
have an account with transifex.net in order to build from a just-cloned
git repository.  IMHO, that is unacceptable.  Having an account is a
must when uploading a new .POT file, but downloading?  That imposes too
high a barrier.

As a result, I'm setting up to pull .po files from translationproject.org,
which permits .po-file download via anonymous rsync.

This is just an FYI, for those few who build from cloned sources:
You needn't register with transifex.  I will adjust bootstrap today
or tomorrow.  In the mean time, you can use ./bootstrap's --skip-po
option, but realize that with that, "make distcheck" has to fail.
Not surprisingly, since without .po files you cannot make a complete
release tarball.