firewalld-0.3.14

Jim Campbell jcampbell at gnome.org
Sat Jun 13 13:24:58 UTC 2015

Hi Randy,

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015, at 06:07 PM, Randy Fitzgerald wrote:
> Hello, Why does the readme contain such non specific install
> directions, and not directions on how to install using dnf, or yum, or
> yumex, depricated or not, instead we must download a .tar.bz2 archive,
> and do it the 1982 way via a command line interface and you expect
> windows users to switch to Linux/ Fedora, how many users do you know
> who write scripts? or use command line interface shell commands, to
> unzip a download?,please tell us how to install the fricken Package
> via yum since dnf has no gui at present,another CLI program, what
> command do we issue, please? You state in firewalld.spec
> "firewalld.spec should be usable for Fedora16>" what's that mean? why
> such non specific install directions, is this code speak? we use dnf
> now at the terminal, yum, or yumex, why do you still insist on a a
> 1982.tar.bz2 archive, that we must CLI at the terminal, and then guess
> what fricken Directory to unpack it into? I,am sitting with umteen
> gazillion .tar.bz or .tar.gz packages, i cannot unpack, since i cannot
> type the correct Directory, to unpack them since i,am not sure what it
> is. You would think by now, that they would all unpack
> automatically,and find the correct directory just like a zipped
> Windows.exe does. we wish that some one would write a script, to pwd >
> cd, and then find the correct directory, and then tar - xvf unpack it
> into it. It's only 2015, you would think the package manager code
> writers, could do this without violating some one's patent's?.Thank
> you, Randy Fitzgerald.
>
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Thomas Woerner
> <twoerner at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,

here is a new firewalld release:

firewalld-0.3.14

This release contains several bug fixes, but also some enhancements.

The long standing issue with the dbus NoReply error in FirewallClient
because of an issues in polkitd has been fixed finally.

Changelog for firewalld-0.3.14

firewalld:

- print real zone names in error messages

- iptables 1.4.21 does not accept limits of 1/day, minimum is 2/day now

- rate limit fix for rich rules

- fix readdition of removed permanent direct settings

- adaption of the polkit domains to use PK_ACTION_DIRECT_INFO

- fixed two minor Python3 issues in firewall.core.io.direct

- fixed use of fallback configuration values

- fixed use without firewalld.conf

- firewalld main restructureization

- IPv6_rpfilter now also available as a property on D-Bus in the
config interface

- fixed wait option use for ipXtables

- added --concurrent support for ebtables

- richLanguage: allow masquerading with destination

- richLanguage: limit masquerading forward rule to new connections

- ipXtables: No dns lookups in available_tables and _detect_wait_option

- full ebtables support: start, stop, reload, panic mode, direct
chains and rules

- fix for reload with direct rules

- fix or flaws found by landscape.io

- pid file handling fixes in case of pid file removal

- fix for client issue in case of a dbus NoReply error

configuration

- new services: dropbox-lansync, ptp

- new icmptypes: timestamp-request, timestamp-reply

man pages:

- firewalld.zones(5): fixed typos

- firewalld.conf(5): Fixed wrong reference to firewalld.lockdown-
whitelist page

firewall-applet:

- new version using Qt4 fixing several issues with the Gtk version

spec file:

- enabled Python3 support: new backends python-firewall and python3-
firewall

- some cleanup

git:

- migrated to github

translations:

- migrated to zanata

build environment:

- no need for autoconf-2.69, 2.68 is sufficient

firewalld can be obtained from:

- https://fedorahosted.org/released/firewalld/

- https://github.com/t-woerner/firewalld/

Please remember that the source code repo of firewalld has been migrated
to github.

Thanks to all contributors, testers and bug reporters.

Regards,

Thomas

It is customary to release new software as a tarball, as this release of
firewalld was released here.  This tarball then gets packaged up by each
distribution's package maintainers for their individual distribution
(i.e., the OpenSUSE maintainers package it for OpenSUSE, Arch
maintainers package it for Arch, Fedora for Fedora, etc.).

If you wanted to install this software manually, you could do so in the
complex manner that you've described, but that's not recommended. It's
better to wait until the software is packaged up for your distribution.

Cheers,

Jim