firewalld example gateway

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Wed Oct 22 14:55:55 UTC 2014

Igor,

That would be useful. I beat my head all over trying to figure out part of it.
The standard masquerade for a zone makes it possible to NAT outgoing traffic from internal boxes using the firewalld box as a default gateway.

	firewall-cmd --permanenet --add-masquerade --zone=internal

You can also use --direct passthrough commands to set up specific forwarding:

	firewall-cmd --permanent --direct --passthrough ipv4 -t nat -I PRE_public -d 204.1.8.12 -j DNAT --to 10.1.1.4
	firewall-cmd --permanent --direct --passthrough ipv4 -t nat -I POST_public -s 10.1.1.4 -j SNAT --to 204.1.8.12

Now here is the caveat:
If you are doing both, that masquerade command comes first.
You would normally see '-A' in your /etc/sysconfig/iptables file.
BUT, with firewalld, it  needs to INSERT it instead of APPEND. THAT is why you need the '-I' instead of '-A' for the rule.
I beat my head on the wall over that for a bit.... o.O

Hope this helps you and at least this will be in the archive now until someone remembers to add it to some example..

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California