Testing firewalld

Thomas Woerner twoerner at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 09:44:42 UTC 2012

Hello,

On 03/22/2012 01:45 PM, dobu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Fedora 17 (alpha) at the moment and was interested in testing
> out the firewalld. It works so far, but I still have a few questions and
> couldn't find much documentation (except for Developers).
>
> *) Why should I change from ip*tables (with the system-config-firewall
> front-end) to firewalld as an end-user? So far it seems to me, that
> without a GUI (I wouldn't count the firewall-applet as a proper GUI) it
> is way harder to configure.

system-config-firewall is more or less a static firewall. Any change to
the firewall requires to recreate the firewall with restarting of the
ip*tables services. This results in loss of connection tracking
information and also connection break. Firewalld is providing a dynamic
firewall service with a daemon, that is capable of enabling and
disabling firewall settings without the need to restart the while
firewall. It has states internally for the firewall settings. It also
adds network/firewall zone support.

Also several services and applications are adding firewall rules
directly which sometimes results in conflicts either in the firewall
settings or at firewall access level.

I am working on the GUI configuration tool.

> *) My home network consists of 2 laptops with fedora and one Macbook.
> I've placed my laptops into the 'home' zone. Now I wanted to share some
> files and used samba. I added the service, but next day it didn't work
> anymore. Do I really have to enable samba everytime I reboot the system
> with 'firewall-cmd --add --zone=home --service=samba'? How can I add a
> service permanently to a zone? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I
> couldn't find anything about that.

This is not properly documented, yet.

For now you have to manuylly copy the zone you want to modify from
/usr/lib/firewalld/zones to /etc/firewalld/zones.

If you want to enable samba instead of samba-client just change the line
   <service name="samba-client"/>
   <service name="samba"/>
in the copy of the home zone in /etc/firewalld/zones.

The files in /usr/lib/firewalld are the default files. Files in
/etc/firewalld/zones will overload the default files in
/usr/lib/firewalld. There are three immutable zones in
/usr/lib/firewalld/zones that can not be overloaded, though: block, drop
and trusted. These zones are special, because they are either allowing
or limiting everything.

More documentation is on the way.

> *) I really, really love the zone idea. I hope the firewall-config tool,
> that is mentioned in the Fedora Feature Page, will be in the repository
> soon.
>
> *) The firewall-applet doesn't do much at the moment, does it? Shouldn't
> the .desktop file be hidden, so it doesn't show up in the Applications
> (that's more a package maintainer problem, I guess)?

The desktop file should be removed, correct.

> Well, that's it for now. I will be using it for a while and report bugs
> if I stumble over one. So far no problems in standard usage (that means
> no network printer, just casual home-user).

Thanks for testing.

> dobu

Thomas