How to add rules for protocols beside tcp/udp?

Stefan Hellermann stefan at the2masters.de
Thu Dec 20 13:58:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

I want to allow traffic of the ospf protocol in the work zone. But I
found no way to do this, besides custom iptables commands and
firewall-cmd --direct rules which are not persistent. There are more
than 100 protocols listed in /etc/protocols, so there should be a way
to allow a custom protocol.

My best try:
firewall-cmd --direct --add-rule ipv4 filter INPUT 99 -d 224.0.0.5 -p
ospf -j ACCEPT

How can I get this use case to work with firewalld? Or will this be
never supported? I'm trying all this on freshly installed a Fedora 18.
What chain should I use? INPUT works for me, but there are others
which look more correct, like IN_ZONE_work_allow, IN_ZONE_work or
IN_ZONE_work_direct

Regards,
Stefan Hellermann