Removing bugzilla options login, assign etc (#67)

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:41:16 UTC 2012

On 07/04/2012 03:06 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> Quoting Alec Leamas (2012-07-04 14:48:45)
>> I have looked into the f-r functions to assign, comment and loginĀ· From
>> my perspective, they seem "odd" and not really focused on f-r's main
>> task. Furtjhermore, they clog the CLI interface and are hard to test
>> requiring some kind of bugzilla test account with unclear implications.
>>
>> As stated in #67, the already existing dependency python-bugzilla have a
>> bugzilla tool which can do all this (assign, comment etc) and much, much
>> more. I find it reasonable to point users to this tool rather than
>> keeping overlapping functionality in f-r.
>>
>> Ergo: remove the function assign, login and comment from f-r. However,
>> removing functionaltiy is not to be taken lightly. So: has anyone strong
>> feelings about these functions, please speak up, either here or in the
>> bug #67 :)
>>
>> A feature branch 'rm-bugz' is in git repo for review.
> Truth be told, I don't mind removing the code from f-r. However...how
> about we provide a wrapper for python-bugzilla? Just a simple shell
> script mind you (which would directly call "bugzilla"). This way we
> would still provide users with simplified way to assign bugzilla and
> perhaps do the approval part as well.
>
> If anything, I'd like to keep the commandline options there and when
> invoked they should print out suggested workaround so people who were
> using them won't be (too) surprised.

This is not fair - I know you are going on holiday. Don't worry, I''l
wait until you're back to complete this discussion :)

With this said, one of the objectives is to get rid of the command line
options.  They are simply too many, and it's hard to read the help page.
One idea could be to have to old options 'assign', 'login' etc as
invisible options, just spitting out some "use bugzilla instead" text.
And of course, the manpage could have some transition text on this.

However, expanding the interface with the obvious 'approve' part is
going in the wrong direction IMHO.

Also, I'm not really fond of the wrapper idea. The complexity if the CLI
is not a technical problem, the python
code is not that hard.  The problem is the user interface, and a wrapper
doesn't change that. It's just more complicated  code.

BTW, my gut feeling is that this part is not that heavily used. Might be
wrong, but...

--alec