Using dwfl to enumerate frames of current thread

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Thu Aug 20 12:47:57 UTC 2015

Ben Gamari <ben at smart-cactus.org> writes:

snip

> Moreover, I have also implemented unwinding of the Haskell evaluation
> stack (the stack used by Haskell code). While the unwinding and symbol
> lookup work, I'm not getting any line information out of libdw. I'm
> quite certain that my object (namely a statically linked executable) has
> proper line information as addr2line can extract meaningful positions
> for the addresses found in my stacktraces.

Strangely enough, it actually may be an elfutils issue. I just realized
that I was using addr2line from my system's binutils, not elfutils.
Indeed if I use elfutils's addr2line I also find that there is no line
information.

Using binutils 2.25-11 (Debian Sid),

    $ /usr/bin/addr2line --version
    GNU addr2line (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.25
    This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
    the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) any later version.
    This program has absolutely no warranty.

    $ /usr/bin/addr2line -e inplace/lib/bin/ghc-stage2 -f 0x25a6898
    base_TextziParserCombinatorsziReadP_zdfAlternativePzuzdczlzbzg_info
    /opt/exp/ghc/ghc//libraries/base/Text/ParserCombinators/ReadP.hs:128

Using elfutils 0.163, built by me with all dependencies available,

    $ /opt/exp/elfutils-root/bin/addr2line --version
    addr2line (elfutils) 0.163
    Copyright (C) 2012 Red Hat, Inc.
    Written by Ulrich Drepper.

    $ /opt/exp/elfutils-root/bin/addr2line -e inplace/lib/bin/ghc-stage2 -f 0x25a6898
    base_TextziParserCombinatorsziReadP_zdfAlternativePzuzdczlzbzg_info
    ??:0

What am I doing wrong here?

Cheers,

- Ben