MiniDebugInfo support

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 15:31:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:08:41 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> What is the reason upstream RPM and GDB haven't accepted this (yet)?

wrt GDB nobody has submitted it upstream yet.  And as I stated I am neither
going to submit it nor review it for GDB, I assume someone else from GDB team
will.

> OK, dwfl_module_addrsym () uses a search over the symbols as returned by
> dwfl_module_getsym (). So it might still make sense to just merge the
> symbols from this mini-symtab with the available (dynsym) symbols for
> dwfl_module_getsym () if we want to support this "transparently". I'll
> take a closer look whether that is possible. As Jan pointed out it is
> slightly more difficult than I thought at first since you have to merge
> the dynsym and mini-symtab symbols.

As I already stated I found the same problem for merging in ppc64 dot-symbols
and the merge looked somehow more complicated and not needed for the use case
I had for the dot-symbols.

As the change to dwfl_module_addrsym was very small (to look up two different
"symtabs") as I have done I find the merging feature (to support also
name->addr lookups) as a possible future extension on top of it.

Jan